The Honorable George Bell Timmerman, Jr. was a son of the upcountry having been born in Anderson County on August 11, 1912. His life line carried him to the South Carolina coast where he gained his academic education at The Citadel and then to the University of South Carolina from which he graduated in 1934.
Not within memory has a South Carolinian gained such honorable distinction to have served with particular ability and dedication in all three branches of state government: legislative, executive, and judicial. His father was a noted lawyer whose home was in Batesburg and who later became a United States District Judge. It was from this home that Judge George Bell Timmerman, Jr. began his career.
George Bell Timmerman entered Law School at the University of South Carolina and graduated with a LL.D. degree in 1937; this was raised to a J.D. degree in 1970. In 1955 his alma mater, The Citadel, recognized him by bestowing upon him an LL.D., honorary degree. His Law School achievement was recognized by his election to the Wig and Robe and also Phi Delta Phi.
His legal orientation was in practicing law with his father for several years until World War II interrupted them. He entered the Navy as an officer and true to form his service was recognized for its distinction. Soon after returning from the Navy he was elected Lieutenant Governor and served two terms from 1947 to 1955. After his service as Lieutenant Governor, the people of South Carolina overwhelmingly raised him to the office of Governor where he served from 1955 to 1959.
In 1967, George Timmerman was elevated to the third department of government: the judicial. It was here that his strong talents again blossomed. Keen judgment, thorough knowledge of the law, complete fairness, and supportable decisions are necessary, and Judge Timmerman fulfilled all of these as Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit until his retirement in 1984.
His memberships included the South Carolina and American Bar Associations, and a permanent membership in the U.S. Judicial Conference, 4th Circuit. He was a member of the S.C. Historical Society, Citadel Inn of Court, Blue Key Honorary Fraternity, Phi Kappa Phi Social Fraternity and many other organizations of merit. Like his father before him, he was a member and officer of the First Baptist Church of Batesburg, South Carolina.
His wife was the former Miss Helen Dupre of Columbia. They were married in 1935; she died in 1980. He is survived by his second wife Mrs. Ingrid Zimmer Timmerman.
George Bell Timmerman, Jr. joined the pantheon of South Carolina’s legislative, executive, judicial and military men of distinction when he left this world on November 29, 1994.