Born Marion, South Carolina, February 6, 1893. University of South Carolina, 1912, LL.B; highest honors, USC School of Law, 1914; graduate school, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. Admitted to Bar, 1914. Practiced with Elliott and Herbert. Volunteered, Army, 2nd Lieutenant, 106th Infantry, “Rainbow” Division stationed France. Member American Legion 75 years.
Joined Nelson and Nelson, 1920, now Nelson, Mullins, Riley & Scarborough with 115 attorneys in five offices. City attorney; President, Richland County Bar Association; Chairman, Executive Committee South Carolina Bar; Chairman, South Carolina Board of Bar Examiners; Federal Land Commissioner; special circuit court judge; taught Federal Practice, USC Law School; member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference; member, Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel.
Known as lawyer’s lawyer, was an expert in appellate practice.
Editorial concluded that his death “ … marks the passing of the last of Columbia’s ‘old guard’ lawyers, but his legacy of integrity, intellect and service remains an example to all.”