Henry Hitt Watkins was a United States District Court Judge for the Western District of South Carolina from 1919 until his death in 1947. He was educated at Furman University, receiving his A.B. and M.A. degrees there and then studied at the University of Virginia and privately. Erskine College granted him an honorary LL.D. in recognition of his service. He married Miss Maude Wakefield of Anderson.
He began the practice of law at Anderson in 1901. He served as a Captain in the Spanish-American War, Trustee of Anderson College, and a member of the Board of Anderson Memorial Hospital, Anderson Public Library, Anderson Public Schools and Furman University. He taught the Men’s Bible Class at the First Baptist Church. He was also a Director of Gossett Mills and the Peoples Bank of Anderson.
His mind was incisive and his knowledge of the law profound. “He not only held himself to high professional standards, but by every proper means endeavored to influence his brethren to do likewise.”