John J. Parker served as a Judge on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals from 1925 until 1931 and as the Fourth Circuit’s Chief Judge from 1931 until 1958. He was a great friend of the University of South Carolina School of Law.
He attended the University of North Carolina, receiving A.B., LL.B. and LL.D. degrees. He received honorary LL.D. degrees from Davidson College, Tulane University, Northwestern University, University of Michigan and the University of Richmond. He received medals of honor from the University of Louisville and from the San Marcos University in Lima, Peru and was an honorary member of the Inner Temple of London. He served on the War Crimes Court in Germany following World War II.
In 1910, Judge Parker married Miss Maria Burgwin Moffitt.
His high character, true modesty, lofty judicial standards, courage and tenacity and his interest in his fellow man endeared him to American judges and lawyers.