George Greene was educated at Erskine College and received an A.B. He obtained his legal education in the law offices of Parker and Hagood, eminent lawyers of Charleston.
He practiced in Anderson from 1920 through 1931. He was married to Miss Helen Crisp of Laurens.
He served as Judge of the Tenth Judicial Circuit from 1931 until his retirement in 1950. Judge Greene had a full practice, both criminal and civil, and his professional standards were high. He was a great lover of sports of all kinds and excelled in bridge, hunting and fishing. He was close to nature and the heart of humanity.
He was a judge learned in the law, but his animating passion as a judge was to discern and effectuate justice in a cause and he was less concerned with the technicalities of the law.