Born in Camden, son of Henry and Helen Alexander Savage.
Educated at University of Virginia, B.S., 1926; LL.B., 1926; Phi Beta Kappa; Raven Society. Admitted to Bar, 1926. Honorary degrees: Medical University of South Carolina, L.H.D., 1976; University of South Carolina, L.H.D., 1976.
Practiced in Camden, 1926–90, senior partner in the firm which became Savage, Royall, Kinard, Sheheen, and Byars. Co-founder and Board Chair, First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Camden, now First Palmetto Savings Bank. Director and Board Chair, Blue Cross/Blue Shield of South Carolina, which endowed the Henry Savage, Jr. Chair at U.S.C. School of Public Health (1985).
Mayor of Camden, 1948–58: council manager form of government adopted, and DuPont Company’s May Plant recruited. President, S.C. Municipal Association, 1955–56. Trustee, Medical University of S.C., 1966–74. Trustee, Ashley Hall, Charleston, 1963–67. President, University South Caroliniana Society, 1972–74. Co-founder and second President, S.C. Forestry Association, 1969–70. Board Member, State of S.C. Heritage Trust Program, 1981–86.
Author of seven books including River of the Carolinas: The Santee (1956); and The Mysterious Carolina Bays (1982).
A lawyer for all seasons; banker, visionary health care planner; political leader; and pioneer environmentalist.
Married 1st: Elizabeth C. Anderson, who died; married 2nd: Elizabeth D. Jones. Seven children: William H., Carroll J., Elizabeth Hope, Virginia B., Samuel P., Henry III, and Helen A. Savage (deceased).